$1500 for a meeting with an a&r?
Last Post 08 Aug 2012 04:47 AM by TagYourBeats.com. 10 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages

lucas572

Elite Soldier
Send Private Message -

--
    01 Aug 2012 10:33 AM

Hi all,

I have a bit of a business question to pose to you guys. I rapper I work with says he's been in touch with a guy who used to work for bad boy records as an a&r, apparently now he kinda scouts new talent and charges them to set up meetings with a&r's (because he's no longer with any label, but still has contacts). 

But apparently he charges $1500 to set up every meeting with labels he thinks might be interested in the artist. Does this seem legit to you guys or a bit of a hustle?

Thanks!

Luke Seager Beats

Back & Forth, the album - Download it now | "Biggie wasn't fat, he was full of lyrics"

Captain Deez

Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    01 Aug 2012 12:17 PM
    I dont know much about this guy or the whole a&r business, but $1,500 for something that he THINKS will hook you up with an artist just doesnt sound logical to me. Thats like somebody in HR at a company telling you to pay him $1500 to get an interview for a job that you might get.

I would at least ask to give him a fraction of that just for the meeting, then give him the rest if you actually get to work with an artist. Like I said, I dont know how those guys do business but that sounded kinda shady to me.
    Beat Jacking is a crime!!!!! <--- My Music

Jaydot

New Recruit
    Send Private Message -

--
    01 Aug 2012 01:34 PM
    $1500 .I wouldnt bank on it. I was often told by some music gurus that if they dont see the long term potential in an artiste they will charge them so that they can make money. They do this because they want to make sure the time they put into the artiste was worth it.
    Say if you was a super talented artiste(not that you are not or anything like that) and the a&r heard your music and was sooo impressed by it, he/sher would gladly do it for free because in a long run it would benefit him. who he works for and their image.

Jaydot

New Recruit
    Send Private Message -

--
    01 Aug 2012 01:39 PM

You can do soo much with 1500 too. Like develop a fan base. Now a days ppl get signed for the following they get for their music. For example,  a producer with 100k  fans and a  rapper with 100k  fans work together on a track  that  can potentially bring in 200k  fans. Word of mouth about  the collaboration can easily push the views  above 200k-300k even 400k << that buzz then  can push that even more!  U probably would be able  to  get your  tracks  on radio and etc more easily << sales for the  track can definitely  be profitable << Performances are really going to happen because of the buzz. etc etc  ... thats  just  my 2 cents lol.

lucas572

Elite Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    02 Aug 2012 05:48 AM
    $1500 isn't all that much when you think about it in terms of an advertising budget, definitely not enough to get 200k fans lol.

The money wouldn't be coming from me though, it's the artist I work with. It sounded shady to me too, but when you think, this guy doesn't work for the labels, has no real affiliation with them (he just used to work for one and knows a lot of a&r's. So if they sign someone, he wont get a cut. Which is probably why he charges so much to set up a meeting. But still he could just tell every artist with a wad of cash they could make it and set up a meeting, only for the label to shoot them down within 10 mins.

It's a tough one, just wondered if this kind of deal was the norm in the music business.
    Luke Seager Beats

Back & Forth, the album - Download it now | "Biggie wasn't fat, he was full of lyrics"

AGC

Veteran
    Send Private Message -

--
    02 Aug 2012 03:02 PM
    Hustle. Not normal. Perhaps $1500 would not build a huge fan base but if the artist does everything he can to do that first they will find him. Sounds like a scam.

Seasonz Beatz
    The Zookeeper (Moderator)
    Veteran
    Send Private Message -

--
    02 Aug 2012 04:45 PM
    I would at least ask to give him a fraction of that just for the meeting, then give him the rest if you actually get to work with an artist.

I agree completely with Deez here, u gotta be careful with the business u make, one move in the wrong way and u are fucked up, u must be sure that u will get something out of it, If not I think u risking 2 much.
    “We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak.”- Albert Einstein
    Warbeats Mail *Only To Report Site-Related Problems*: seasonz@warbeats.com
    E-mail: djseasonz_beatz@hotmail.com
    Seasonz On Soundcloud
    Seasonz On Facebook

PaiMuTan Music

New Recruit
    Send Private Message -

--
    04 Aug 2012 01:15 PM
    You have to think why the guy does not work with at the labels anymore. If he is a talent scout, why doesn't he work for a label? Can he name artists who were signed because of his money for meeting business?

Det0nator Radio

Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    04 Aug 2012 05:18 PM
    if he's for real offer him a royalty.

Whitfield

Elite Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    06 Aug 2012 05:47 PM
    Get the FUCK out of here with that foolishness. If he really saw talent in you, he'd be your manager/agent.

I've BEEN to the meeting with labels. Atlantic. Beluga Heights. I've been in sessions, paid for by labels, with grammy-nominated, platinum songwriters. I've had The Jackie Boyz write and reference to my beats. No paying for studio time, no paying for the engineer present. It's all 100% free.

Turn and run. It's a scam.

TagYourBeats.com

New Recruit
    Send Private Message -

--
    08 Aug 2012 04:47 AM

Shady.  Sign a contract with him giving him some commission from any deal you sign.  If he believes in you, then he knows that that is guaranteed money right there.

I know what was trying to be said about how that money could be used to earn fans etc, but you'd be better off buying spins on a local radio, or from a DJ at a respected club, or anything other than a guy who promises you nothing but a meeting.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

To embed links, videos, pics, etc use the code: {embed=url}
    $23.32 (Click To Buy)
    [PLAYER CODE]

Users Online
    Membership Membership:
    Latest New User Latest: mrniceguy602
    Past 24 Hours Past 24 Hours: 27
    Prev. 24 Hours Prev. 24 Hours: 37
    User Count Overall: 104912

People Online People Online:
    Visitors Visitors: 82