5's Vs. 8's
Last Post 06 Oct 2010 02:02 PM by TRYDER. 15 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages

TRYDER

Soldier
Send Private Message -

--
    15 Jul 2010 01:49 AM
    When it comes to using the 808's in my projects, I realize that my monitors(BX5's) don't really hold the bass as well as the 8's.  Anyone out there with 5's feel the same way?  Once I get my own spot again, I will definitely get a pair. 
    "Imagination is everything - It is the preview of life's coming attractions."

Soopa

Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    15 Jul 2010 06:45 AM
    yea man 5s are real weak when it comes to bass response...I've used 5's in various places and they kinda slack if you dont know how to interpret the lost in freqs... I used to have some mackie 8s which I sold recently for some rp6's which is like common grounds between 8's and 5's....I love these puppehs
    www.SoopaBeats.com

TRYDER

Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    15 Jul 2010 08:01 AM
    I never thought to get anything in between the 5-8's. I'll keep the 6's in mind. So the rp's are gd huh! Damn! why didn't I think of that before purchasing the 5's! Well, we have to learn somehow.

Thanks for the response!

brgnbeat (mrLabile)

Elite Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    16 Jul 2010 12:47 AM
    I have KrKs RP 5's, they have a pretty good bass response. I have heard that 5's often dont have that good bass response thats why I chose these after reading some reviews like this one:
    http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/recording/monitors/rokit-rp5-g2-173461/review

Solidbeatz (BIG T)

Elite Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    18 Jul 2010 07:07 PM
    I have the rp 5 g2 ,
    I have a strange feeling that i have to feel the bass (A BIT) in my chest when i pump a beat without a subwoofer.
    @ my friends studio you feel it and he doenst have a subwoofer, but the monitors he haves are mutch bigger than the little 5's.
    Well i think i need to buy the krk subwoofer for a fuller sound.

TRYDER

Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    19 Jul 2010 04:00 AM
    A Soop! may I ask why you decided to get rid of your Mackie 8's?

MrLabile - Even though your pick sounds good - http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/...461/review, I think I will keep the KrK 6's in mind. I've out grown the 5's and plus I think these 6's is what I need to really get my drive on!

Big T Prod. - Depending on the location of your studio, you might not need the sub-woofer. If your in a house that's some-what spacious and you want to display your music to your friends or for yourself, the sub is what you need. But if your in a some-what small room, you don't really need the sub. But I feel you, I'll also be getting some down the line.

*Does anyone else besides KrK make 6's? I'll research later on today. But in case I don't make time, somebody let me know.

TRYDER

Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    19 Jul 2010 04:25 AM
    Wait hold up! Maybe I should just invest in a sub-woofer. That should do the trick, ya think? It makes sense to me! The only thing about this, is that they usually sell size 10 subs so, that on size 5 monitors don't seem ideal. I might just stick with getting 6's(monitors).

rewindmusic

New Recruit
    Send Private Message -

--
    19 Jul 2010 05:06 AM
    is not just the monitor that makes the sound you are hearing, it's your room and your position in relation to your monitors, too!
    you have to find the spot in your room where your monitors sound best. depends on your room's geometry, your furniture, ...
    here are some more in-depth articels about that:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar02/articles/monitors.asp
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5545322_position-studio-monitors.html [ a few steps on how to set up your monitors ]

TRYDER

Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    19 Jul 2010 09:23 AM
    1st off, thank you! I enjoyed the 1st article you mentioned. My room was the 1st thing that I worked on when 1st purchasing my monitors. My wall is acoustic nicely and I believe I have a good listening spot. It sounds really good to my ear at least. But my speakers just weren't meant for the 808's to really Bang like the way I want them to, when making my music. I made music on 8's before so, I know how they should sound when dealing with 808's. Even Ninth Wonder called it! He said he uses the 8's(M-Audio by the way) because they hold the bass nicely. And that's exactly what I've noticed. Personally, I don't like the 8's when making music because their too damn loud. Maybe if I had my own house with perfect amount of space, then I would get the 8's.
    So hopefully my boi Soop is right about the 6'ses, sounding just right.

TRYDER

Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    21 Jul 2010 08:11 AM
    I guess it depends on your pitch as well. The 5's are great! But for some reason I still want the 6's for listening purposes(more feel). I changed the pitch on one of my 808 projects and it sounded way nicer! Much more clean as well.

rewindmusic

New Recruit
    Send Private Message -

--
    22 Jul 2010 05:01 PM
    check'em...
    if you feel nice working with them, buy one of those...
    if not, stay with what you have....

never change a running system
    whatever makes you feel comfortable use it and take advantage out of it...
    what you hear is what you get

Solidbeatz (BIG T)

Elite Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    23 Jul 2010 01:58 PM
    Posted By TRYDER on 19 Jul 2010 05:00 AM
    A Soop! may I ask why you decided to get rid of your Mackie 8's?

MrLabile - Even though your pick sounds good - http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/...461/review, I think I will keep the KrK 6's in mind. I've out grown the 5's and plus I think these 6's is what I need to really get my drive on!

Big T Prod. - Depending on the location of your studio, you might not need the sub-woofer. If your in a house that's some-what spacious and you want to display your music to your friends or for yourself, the sub is what you need. But if your in a some-what small room, you don't really need the sub. But I feel you, I'll also be getting some down the line.

*Does anyone else besides KrK make 6's? I'll research later on today. But in case I don't make time, somebody let me know.
    Yea i have a big room i think that is the problem.
    I am going to buy this one: http://www.feedback.nl/recording-monitoren/krk/10-s

TRYDER

Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    24 Jul 2010 04:22 PM
    Posted By Big T Prod. on 23 Jul 2010 02:58 PM

Yea i have a big room i think that is the problem.
    I am going to buy this one: http://www.feedback.nl/recording-monitoren/krk/10-s

Yeah I would pick this sub over M-Audio's.  This one seems built for war and it's cheaper.

TRYDER

Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    05 Oct 2010 03:36 PM
    I don't know, M-Audio seems like the deal win dealing with subs that is - http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.main&ID=cc9b9dc7deb43750fdc13feeca374ad5&INTCMP=MA-BN-SBX103

Sabotage
    The Pimp Hand (moderator)
    Elite Veteran
    Send Private Message -

--
    05 Oct 2010 09:31 PM
    Without dwelling too deep into it.

Bigger cone = moves more air = makes louder/deeper sounds.

Most common consumer subs = 10" cone + a filter to tune in frequency cut off = more power for bass low freq.

Usability?
    Well you gotta read up on some backround info to know what would fit your purposes. Bigger speakers or a sub does not equal better low end mixing by default. The goal you should have in mind is to achive CLEAR low end frequencies instead of loud low end frequencies. (Unless it is purely for enjoyment)

So for this (if your room is tricky and not treated) it is easiest to achive good results with front ported speakers. Meanin the air from the speaker will come straight at you with out bouncing from the wall behind it first.
    | MAIL | Watch this space!

TRYDER

Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    06 Oct 2010 02:02 PM
    I hear ya! I just want the sub-woofer so that I don't tax my speakers, feel me! And also to be able to compare my mix with/without the sub and enjoy the warmth for listening purposes.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

To embed links, videos, pics, etc use the code: {embed=url}
    $23.32 (Click To Buy)
    [PLAYER CODE]

Users Online
    Membership Membership:
    Latest New User Latest: GUYOS
    Past 24 Hours Past 24 Hours: 38
    Prev. 24 Hours Prev. 24 Hours: 35
    User Count Overall: 107995

People Online People Online:
    Visitors Visitors: 83