The Ultimate Music Theory
Last Post 30 Jan 2011 04:32 PM by nstoner. 10 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages

Tune-In

New Recruit
Send Private Message -

--
    14 Oct 2010 09:55 AM
    The Ultimate Music Theory any musician can receive in any genre of music is the art of Transcribing.
    What do I mean by this?
    The Art of Transcribing is simply listening to a piece of music and copying it.
    Now we don't copy it just to copy it..we copy it to learn what the composer was thinking when he played the music.
    start off with something simple..and the key, at least for me is to always listen to the bass first.
    I will learn the basic bassline for about 4-8 measures depending on the song and figure out the progression being used..usually similar to every other song. and then I would listen to the top note and listen to the quality of the chord to figure out if its Major...Minor...or Dominant

you will learn so much if you practice this...
    Remember Music is taught Aurally not by the Books!
    not saying you can't learn from the books..but my point is you'll truly understand it more and hear it more when you learn aurally..
    thats another benefit of transcribing..it turns into an ear training exercise as well..
    Now if you don't hear the bass in the first 5 Minutes..its ok...play..stop..sing..what you think you hear...try it again..play..stop...
    This is how musicians with no musical theory operate..they don't have the book theory..cause they used this method..and they can play many things..cause they're not really limited..
    because they only relied on listening.
    I Myself practice this at least an hour a day when i can!!
    Good Luck!

LexKream

New Recruit
    Send Private Message -

--
    14 Oct 2010 02:36 PM
    Thanks for the tip Im gonna try this for the rest of this month and see what I kome up with!

AGC

Veteran
    Send Private Message -

--
    15 Oct 2010 12:21 AM
    Great stuff bro!

IV: The Fourth

Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    15 Oct 2010 09:41 AM
    This is true; some of my best beats were made shortly after doing remakes of beats in the genre. I go about it differently (don't tend to start with bass), but the idea is the same. At first, I had a very hard time with it, especially detecting the scale (I would have the right relative notes, but in the wrong scale). As I keep making music, though, it keeps getting easier and easier.

FrostFuzz

New Recruit
    Send Private Message -

--
    15 Oct 2010 06:53 PM
    I agree. Sometimes before I begin a beat I will listen to a song that has the feel that I am looking for. You don't need to copy little details because you want your beat to be unique but I would just use the chore progression, and then your own ideas will come much more easily than if you are sitting there with writers block.

ibproducin247

New Recruit
    Send Private Message -

--
    21 Oct 2010 10:18 PM
    I have been transcribing ever since I read this when it was posted and it really has helped alot, thanks for the info.

Tune-In

New Recruit
    Send Private Message -

--
    22 Oct 2010 04:32 AM
    Your welcome.and congratulations!!
    The more you do it...the results you get will be amazing..

a lil story....I play trumpet and study and perform jazz...last nite I performed in harlem and this kat came through playing piano..he sounded dope..improvising some nice ideas and lines..it was really good..so when we took a break..I spoke to him and told him that he sounded really good..he thanked me for the compliment and immediately said all he do is transcribe..he also said he don't just listen to piano to learn...he listens to trumpets...saxophones..etc..and other genres of music...
    now this makes lots of sense..because even though this is a hip hop forum..Music is Music...
    Classical music...Rock Music...all types of Music..has been interpreted into hip hop...
    so my point is keep doing that transcribing...but don't limit yourself to Hip Hop..The other Genres will help you develop new ideas and new sounds...

P.S
    this is something musicians do for the rest of their life...its never ending...Music is INfinite!!!

Tune-In

New Recruit
    Send Private Message -

--
    25 Oct 2010 02:41 AM
    have anyone tried transcribing nursery rhymes..they are short songs that we all know..and it can be used as an ear training exercises...Try it and test your ears...
    humpty dumpty...twinkle twinkle lil star..happy birthday...saints go marching in...etc..
    whats your thoughts on this?

teK

Elite Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    08 Jan 2011 10:13 AM
    Great advice!
    Photobucket

darkdogg

New Recruit
    Send Private Message -

--
    28 Jan 2011 09:58 AM
    Nice!!! Thanks 4 sharing this wit us bruv

nstoner

New Recruit
    Send Private Message -

--
    30 Jan 2011 04:32 PM

Thank you warbeats , for teaching me chord progession!

You are not authorized to post a reply.

To embed links, videos, pics, etc use the code: {embed=url}
    $23.32 (Click To Buy)
    [PLAYER CODE]

Users Online
    Membership Membership:
    Latest New User Latest: augustodelgado
    Past 24 Hours Past 24 Hours: 41
    Prev. 24 Hours Prev. 24 Hours: 11
    User Count Overall: 104737

People Online People Online:
    Visitors Visitors: 114