Elements of 90s hiphop/r&b?
Last Post 17 Dec 2011 06:36 PM by Ryno. 8 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages

PointBlank

Soldier
Send Private Message -

--
    11 Dec 2011 12:22 PM

i've been listening to a lot of 90s hiphop and r&b songs lately (mostly r&b though) and im realizing that i like the overall feel of them more than today's music. the instruments didn't sound as clean or crisp back then but i still really like the style and i want to bring it back in a more modern sense. i wanna know what you think some elements of 90s hiphop/r&b are. im gonna list what i think. feel free to correct me if i'm wrong. i'm also interested to know why music changed so drastically during the 2000s.

so far i've noticed that 90s instrumentals...

- had less quantizing of instruments

- had more rugged-sounding drums

- often involved the use of actual instruments

- relied heavily on catchy basslines

- tended to include hot lead sounds (like that signature westcoast whistle)

- were far more repetitive (more repeated loops/samples)

- were much simpler in terms of structure

- were much quieter overall

Tags: production, Techniques, Oldskool, hiphop, R&B, Composition, Quantizing, drums, samples, loops, Song Structure,

Ryno

Elite Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    12 Dec 2011 09:47 PM
    To go off what you've stated, I would say less quantizing and more rugged-sounding drums are probably correlated to the fact that they used a lot more real instruments. Heavy basslines because hip-hop was heavily influenced by funk (just one reason). The repetitive aspect was to allow the MC or Singer to showcase over a track, not the other way around (this is also why they were more "simple", although that's a big generalization). After all, hip-hop started by looping break beats over and over and over again for B-boys to dance to... Music changed in the 2000's for the same reason music has been changing since the late 17th century. People want something new.... These days, with hip-hop and R&B, the instrumental is more central than the MC or Singer. That's why you hear beats that are way more complex, and rhymes/lyrics that are alot more weak/simple. But as far as your list of 90's-oriented features you got a pretty solid list. I also love 90's hip-hop and R&B, they don't make music like that anymore and it's a shame. The music I make is heavily influenced by the 90's sound, check me out if you're interested in hearing some new-school with an old-school flavor. Also, don't forget that the 90's was pre-auto-tune so you had to actually know how to sing! lol
    Stay Humble, Stay Hungry & Feed Me !

Ryno

Elite Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    12 Dec 2011 10:03 PM
    Oh ya, you're also forgeting a major element on your list. A lot of 90's hip-hop and R&B (and music in general) was still partly, and some wholly, recorded analog. These days, almost everything is recorded digitally which gives it a different sound.

nesu

New Recruit
    Send Private Message -

--
    12 Dec 2011 11:06 PM
    These days people focus more on layering up their beats instead of actually composing and composition in the 90s was better. People get bored quickly these days and beats constantly have to be changed up. I miss the DJ scrathes of tthe 80s which began to fade in the 90s. RnB vocalists were better then i guess there wasn't that much autotune going around. I agree basslines especially in RnB were key. The RnB that comes out these days isn't really RnB at all. Too fast. I agree wit Ryno in that songs were repetitive because emphasis was more on the vocalists than the beat. Nowadays all the pressure is on the producer.

TheDon

New Recruit
    Send Private Message -

--
    13 Dec 2011 10:09 AM
    Well just to add on that, back in the 80s-90s they didnt had most of the tools that these new producers have now, so they really had to work with the little they had. and these days people focus more on the beat rather than the lyrics or message of the song. For the change in music, is just what ryno said, People want something new....and with that the whole music industry changes so artists like Snoop Dogg who used to be hardcore gansta rap have to now change up their style to a more Pop version and others who didnt, well we all know what happens to them, fans decrease, sales drop, less money is being invested in them etc. Although some 90s rappers still maintain a good sales record like Nas.

EDO.CEO

New Recruit
    Send Private Message -

--
    17 Dec 2011 06:27 PM
    Not only all of this, but people do not know what is good and what isn't. They don't appreciate God-given talent anymore. The music (ANY genre) out these days is undeniably garbage -- same goes for TV, movies, *insert other creative/artsy forms here*. I absolutely hate it.

There is almost no talent around anymore. The point of music is not to tell a story ... it is not about making the next generation aware of the problems that are eating society. Movies are not about the stories anymore, but rather who has better CGI and other special effects. TV is not about being creative anymore.

It's all about money. I'm tired of the following response when I say that some wannabe rapper is crap: "Yeah, but you gotta hand it to him, he's makin' hella money!" F*CK the money, the fame, the fast cars, the mansions, etc. I spit because I love it, it's my release, it's a way to get my feelings out without risking jail time, seeing my wife and kids, etc., for whoopin' the sh*t outta someone.

Sorry, I'll stop now. Didn't mean to rant so much. Haha.
    "There's people who used the same cracked hypersonic 2 and it worked with no problems at all from their comments. I installed everything correctly but idk why it's crashing my fl studio." - Ninwaya23

Ryno

Elite Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    17 Dec 2011 06:30 PM
    ^Word.

Ryno

Elite Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    17 Dec 2011 06:36 PM
    Not only all of this, but people do not know what is good and what isn't. They don't appreciate God-given talent anymore.

I also feel like people are becoming less and less critical; of movies, t.v. shows, music etc... This is the reason producers can get away with making Law & Order, Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Law & Order: SVU, Law & Order: Trial By Jury, Law & Order: L.A., CSI, CSI: Miami, CSI: N.Y., NCIS, NCIS: L.A., White Collar, In Plain Sight, Hawaii 5-0 etc etc etc... Sometimes, its the people behind the scenes who are shoving a product down peoples throats so they have no choice but to "like" it. It's like the industry has decided FOR YOU what your going to "like". I wouldn't have an issue at all if they played Soulja Boy, Wiz Khalifa, Rick Ross, Gucci Mane, Young Jeezy, Nicki Minaj etc, if they ALSO played artists like Bronze Nazareth, Wisemen, Slum Village, MF Doom, Little Brother, Jurassic 5, Atmosphere, AZ, Jedi Mindtricks etc. I mean damn, I don't even remember the last time I heard a Nas song on the air!... I understand that the sound/style of hip-hop is evolving, but that doesn't mean we should settle for garbage just because it's presented to us. Hip-hop today is losing it's substance, and people are allowing that to happen by not being critical enough of the media that is presented to them. At least that's how I see it.

Ryno

Elite Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    17 Dec 2011 06:36 PM
    *Duplicate*
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

To embed links, videos, pics, etc use the code: {embed=url}
    $31.12 (Click To Buy)
    [PLAYER CODE]