New to Production
Last Post 17 Jan 2012 06:57 AM by JoeyXoto. 2 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages

LittleKetty

New Recruit
Send Private Message -

--
    07 Dec 2011 12:25 PM

Hey All,

Heard great things about this forum, hoping I will get some advice to steer me in the right direction!  I've taken a great interest in creating house music (particularly progressive) over the past few months and have listened to the genre for a good couple of years now. 

So I've recently downloaded FL Studio and a few VST's and had a play around with creating some chord progressions and some leads, but I'm at a loss on going to the next stage (composition!). 

How do I begin to even compose and piece together a song?  Is there a good tutorial out there which can help me piece together where I begin with the kicks, hi-hats, leads etc?  

Quite confused to say the least

Thanks 

Robot916

New Recruit
    Send Private Message -

--
    12 Dec 2011 06:58 PM

yo littleketty Robot here, read your post and seems like i got a some what simple soultion for you. take a listen through to your favorite song, in the genre that your going for and kinda study it, take it apart and listen to each element, focus on what elements are there and how they layer together to create that unique mix that catches your ear and makes you really enjoy it. now from there start to try to RECREATE it. its not going to sound the same, atleast not at first but it will be a good learnig curve. i typically start with the snare/clap due to it becomes the tempo of the beat. then kicks/ hats then adding in the melody and/or rhythm but everyone is different. hope this helps

-Robot916

-Robot916

JoeyXoto

New Recruit
    Send Private Message -

--
    17 Jan 2012 06:57 AM

*Edit - Just realised that the above poster gave the exact same reply! Apologies!

Here's what you can try;

You said you are in the realm of progressive house. So go away, find your favourite progressive house track.

Now study that track. How does it begin? Is it just 4x4 kicks? Or does it start with a lead? Chords? Bass? Disect it!!! You can literally copy the format of the track – it could be something like, starts with 4x4 kicks, then a bas drops in, then there’s a break with bass and lead, then a clap over the bass and lead, then it leads into a bass, lead, kick, clap and hats... then it breaks back down to just 4x4 kick.... this is just an example. The best thing to do is as I have said, get your favourite track, dissect it and see what comes where, try to recreate it! This is a great way to learn and see what a format of a track is like...keep doing this and try our own ideas as you go along.

Joey Xoto
    Music Producer/Engineer
    www.JoeyXoto.com
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

To embed links, videos, pics, etc use the code: {embed=url}
    $26.44 (Click To Buy)
    [PLAYER CODE]

Users Online
    Membership Membership:
    Latest New User Latest: Rokk Allon
    Past 24 Hours Past 24 Hours: 26
    Prev. 24 Hours Prev. 24 Hours: 30