Headphones or Monitors ? whats better to use for Mixing and Mastering?
Last Post 16 Jul 2011 02:03 PM by Ace Noise Beats. 16 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Informative

Beats By A Spider

New Recruit
Send Private Message -

--
    29 Jun 2011 02:14 PM

Question 

Is it better to use Headphones or Monitors for productions , Mixing , Mastering ?

Pompey Productions

Veteran
    Send Private Message -

--
    29 Jun 2011 04:28 PM
    i personally don't use headphones at all for mixing. I use monitors.
    www.PompeyProductions.com www.twitter.com/P_O_M_P_E_Y www.facebook.com/pompeyproductions

Beats By A Spider

New Recruit
    Send Private Message -

--
    29 Jun 2011 04:40 PM
    @Pompey , is there going to be any difference between em as far as sound quality and clarity ?

My ears are killin me from headphones lol

Pompey Productions

Veteran
    Send Private Message -

--
    29 Jun 2011 05:34 PM
    well, for one, the "cupping" effect that headphones have with bass is one reason i stray away from them. i don't EVER put on headphones unless i'm recording. I have 2 sets of monitors: Behringer Truths and Yamahas. I use the yamahas more for the mixing and then i'll reference them to the behringers. different monitors and different headphones will have different qualities, but the key is to reference your material with commercial material in different systems (car, home audio, monitor speakers, headphones, etc.) That way, you'll know how things are supposed to sound in general. however, one thing to also keep in mind is the sound of your room. I listen for the sound of my room and try to compensate for it.
    www.PompeyProductions.com www.twitter.com/P_O_M_P_E_Y www.facebook.com/pompeyproductions

Beats By A Spider

New Recruit
    Send Private Message -

--
    03 Jul 2011 09:13 PM
    yeah see every time im at work or in a car , house listenin to commercial music im always lookin for thing i should be doin to different instruments and how they sound on wjat ever speaker is playin it and how they all sound , only thing is not every production sounds da same but they do tend to stick wit da basics !

I like what you just said about usin different Monitors and or head phones to record !

Once i have enough , ima find a good brand of monitors to use !

Plus to save what lil bit of ear i have left after years of car audio and home theater installation lol

Thanks bro !

EDO.CEO

New Recruit
    Send Private Message -

--
    12 Jul 2011 01:14 PM
    Mixing on monitors will definitely yield quicker and more accurate results. At least, that is what I have always read. And I noticed it made a MASSIVE difference in my mixes when I got my pair of KRK RP5's. Some people can mix fairly well in headphones, because they have "trained" their ears in terms of how to translate what the headphones sound like to what it would sound like in other systems.

But why bother with having to translate through headphones? Using monitors will also provide a more accurate stereo image. With headphones, they are directly over your ears. With monitors, you get sound "bleeding" from the left speaker into your right ear and vice versa. Does that make sense?
    "There's people who used the same cracked hypersonic 2 and it worked with no problems at all from their comments. I installed everything correctly but idk why it's crashing my fl studio." - Ninwaya23

DET

Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    12 Jul 2011 02:27 PM
    Theres no compition. Monitors have much more fqs for mixing.
    "It is not the machine, It is the man behind the machine." - 9th Wonder

Godson Official

Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    12 Jul 2011 06:06 PM
    I've used both so take it from me - it really is easier for YOU when you use monitors. But neither is inferior to the other infact, I'm still hoping I'll get some extra money soon to buy a pair of headphone monitors. IMO, you should have BOTH!
    Make lovely mixes not loudness war. SOUNDCLOUD: http://www.soundcloud.com/thegodson FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/godsonofficialmusic

Godson Official

Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    12 Jul 2011 06:46 PM
    Posted By Pompey Productions on 29 Jun 2011 05:28 PM
    i personally don't use headphones at all for mixing. I use monitors.

Yeah I have to hold you up right there man cause that's what's got me tripping --- how the hell are you gonna be able to judge panning and effects like reverb if you only use the speaker -- they only can tell you if it's too far (100%) or in the middle?!

i really want to clear this up because it's been messing me up for a year since my headphons died forcing me to rely on just monitors. i need to understand this. thanks.

Make lovely mixes not loudness war. SOUNDCLOUD: http://www.soundcloud.com/thegodson FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/godsonofficialmusic

Megiddo

Elite Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    13 Jul 2011 08:20 AM
    I guess you put them like one on the left end of the room, one on the right. I'd use both if I had monitors, but I'm stuck with just headphones. The result ain't that bad though, if you want to, you can check this link and convince yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdKyR7rypyM

MNBeats

New Recruit
    Send Private Message -

--
    13 Jul 2011 10:10 AM
    I don't even have monitors. All I have is Skullcandy Skullcrushers

k_meleon1982

New Recruit
    Send Private Message -

--
    13 Jul 2011 11:42 AM

lucas572

Elite Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    15 Jul 2011 08:17 AM
    You kind of need them both really imo. As said above headphones are better for working out your panning. I also like to do my initial mix on headphones, as I can generally hear more of a difference when EQ'ing...even with the KRK RP6's, the AKG240's seem more responsive to EQ. Once I've got the basic mix down I'll go ahead and find a middle ground between what sounds right in the monitors and what sounds right in the cans. Then check it in other places like my ipod headphones, car, surround sound hooked up to the tv lol, anything
    Luke Seager Beats

Back & Forth, the album - Download it now | "Biggie wasn't fat, he was full of lyrics"

Rippa

New Recruit
    Send Private Message -

--
    15 Jul 2011 05:41 PM
    Personally I use everything I can. I will predominantly use monitors but as someone else pointed out before me, in order to make sure panning effects are correct then headphones are important for that. Panning of course isn't something to be overlooked, it's important in the final mix.

But I will also listen to the mix through earphones and even just through the laptop itself. I know that sounds stupid but ever notice how dope your mix sounds with your monitors which present all the bassy to low-mid sounds like they should sound, but then on your laptop the mix sounds absolutely awful? I've done that before and then listened to commercial music on my laptop and found that although the mix obviously doesnt sound as nice as it does through the monitors, most of it still sounds decent. It helped me realise that sometimes I was mixing my kick drums too low and i couldnt hear them at all when i played them through my laptop, which in my opinion shouldnt be happening.

Anyways I think what I'm tryna say is, listen to your mix through a variety of outputs and try and get them to sound nice on all.... it's about finding a balance of course, but monitors and then headphones are the 2 most important.

Pompey Productions

Veteran
    Send Private Message -

--
    15 Jul 2011 06:30 PM
    i can see referencing through headphones...but i dont know about the mixing thing. i turn my monitors on their side to get more feel for the panning. but some folks strictly mix out of their headphones b/c they know what things sound like on them. so i guess to each his own right? lol.

TylerSmith

Elite Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    16 Jul 2011 03:40 AM
    I think its good to check your mixes in headphones also anyway because what will a lot of people be listening to the songs on ? get them sounding good on both

Ace Noise Beats

New Recruit
    Send Private Message -

--
    16 Jul 2011 02:03 PM
    I mainly use monitors/speakers for mixing.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

To embed links, videos, pics, etc use the code: {embed=url}
    $20.20 (Click To Buy)
    [PLAYER CODE]

Users Online
    Membership Membership:
    Latest New User Latest: aditya
    Past 24 Hours Past 24 Hours: 31
    Prev. 24 Hours Prev. 24 Hours: 43
    User Count Overall: 108026

People Online People Online:
    Visitors Visitors: 103