COmposition Technique
Last Post 09 Aug 2011 03:15 AM by nolimore. 16 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages

AMP-ONE

New Recruit
Send Private Message -

--
    04 May 2011 09:46 PM
    Okay, I've "come up" with a technique for composing in FL Studio, and I was just curious if I was the only one who composes their whole song on one channel...like every instrument programmed on the same channel resulting in a 3 to 5 minute stretch...to me it just seems easier to tweak patterns the way I want them instead of creating a whole new channel for a change in the melody or in dynamics whatever...has anybody else experimented with this?

Ryno

Elite Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    04 May 2011 11:51 PM
    Holy shit, are you saying you just have one channel that goes like 100+ bars?? You know you can clone channels right? Say you set up a certain pattern but want to tweak a few things to switch it up you just have to clone that pattern and tweak the cloned one. The original pattern stays the same.
    Stay Humble, Stay Hungry & Feed Me !

AMP-ONE

New Recruit
    Send Private Message -

--
    05 May 2011 08:12 AM
    yeah, 100+ bars and whatnot lol and I know I can clone, I just like to be able to see everything in front of me in the piano rolls, and it actually is quicker for me than when I was using multiple channels. I usually use the clone function for duplicating instruments for the stereo effect when I begin to mix down. Im sure there's an easier way, I guess this just makes me feel more in control or something lol I dunno but it works for me

Ray

Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    05 May 2011 01:21 PM
    I do this, but with seperate parts of the song. I never liked beats that, even if there was a different parts for the verse chorus etc, they still loop. If my verse is 12 bars, every bar, other bar, whatever there's a little variation, you could call it ear candy. If my basic loop is 2 bars, I'll copy & paste it 6 times, and add little variations. I know I could clone but it'd be a pain in the ass having 10+ patterns.
    "The only thing that comes to a sleeping man is dreams." -Pac

Ryno

Elite Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    05 May 2011 02:37 PM
    I dunno, I guess it's all personal preference. I find it easier to navigate through separate 4,8,12 or 16 bar patterns on different channels then to try and remember "Oh shit, where does my hook start again?" "which part of the verse is this?" "Oh ya I think that part I'm looking for is on bar 98.." lol. I'm not knockin it, I use to make beats that way when I first got FL Studio because I didn't know how to clone, use separate channels, use the playlist etc. But now I find it easier to just set up a 16 bar pattern, clone it, tweak it how I want it and then put all the pieces together on the playlist. Anyways, just do it however works best for you. There's no right or wrong way.

Solidbeatz (BIG T)

Elite Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    05 May 2011 03:59 PM
    Posted By Ray on 05 May 2011 02:21 PM
    I do this, but with seperate parts of the song. I never liked beats that, even if there was a different parts for the verse chorus etc, they still loop. If my verse is 12 bars, every bar, other bar, whatever there's a little variation, you could call it ear candy. If my basic loop is 2 bars, I'll copy & paste it 6 times, and add little variations. I know I could clone but it'd be a pain in the ass having 10+ patterns.
    Many times, Simple = better

Ray

Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    06 May 2011 11:50 AM
    Posted By Solidbeatz (BIG T) on 05 May 2011 04:59 PM
    Posted By Ray on 05 May 2011 02:21 PM
    Many times, Simple = better

I agree completely, but 4 minute loop isn't shit if it could of been expanded on, and showed potential. When I say variations. I mean switching up the drums for a bar, or cutting a sound out for two bars. Nothing drastic, just enough to keep the audience interested in the lyrics, AND the beat. If nothings changed a minute into the song, in their head they're expecting nothing more to come.

KRiSR

Elite Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    06 May 2011 08:11 PM
    Composing like that would mess with my head..LOL I much rather use many patterns and then arrange in a playlist,,

KRiSR on Reverb                                                                                             

KRiSR on Twitter                                                                                             

KRiSR on Facebook                                                                                       

KRiSR's Official Website (currently unavailable.) 

duecesiz

New Recruit
    Send Private Message -

--
    06 May 2011 08:33 PM
    YO I DO THE SAME THING BUT YOU'RE NOT GONNA LET THE PATTERN RUN LIKE THAT THE WHOLE WAY. ONCE YOU HAVE ALL YOU'RE INSTRUMENTS IN THEN YOU CAN TWEAK. PATTERN ONE IS EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR REFERENCE THEN PATTERN 2 THE KICK PATTERN 3 THE SNARE AND SO ON WHEN YOU'RE DONE YOU DON'T NEED PATTERN ONE ANYMORE.

Ryno

Elite Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    06 May 2011 11:42 PM
    Everybody's got their own way of composing, that adds to the diversity of beats in a small yet important way. But Ray
    I agree completely, but 4 minute loop isn't shit if it could of been expanded on, and showed potential. When I say variations. I mean switching up the drums for a bar, or cutting a sound out for two bars. Nothing drastic, just enough to keep the audience interested in the lyrics, AND the beat. If nothings changed a minute into the song, in their head they're expecting nothing more to come.
    Just because I don't have one long pattern on one channel that has variation doesn't mean I don't have variation in my beats. Each of my channels has a different pattern. I mean your song has to have some structure right? It's not going to be 100+ bars of randomness... So eventually you will repeat parts: Intro Verse Bridge Hook Verse Bridge Hook Verse Bridge Hook Outro. Each of these parts can be on a seperate channel so you would have 5 channels instead of 1 long one with the whole song on it. It's all the same in the end, just how you get there is different..

Ray

Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    07 May 2011 05:44 PM
    Posted By Ryno on 07 May 2011 12:42 AM
    Everybody's got their own way of composing, that adds to the diversity of beats in a small yet important way. But Ray
    Just because I don't have one long pattern on one channel that has variation doesn't mean I don't have variation in my beats. Each of my channels has a different pattern. I mean your song has to have some structure right? It's not going to be 100+ bars of randomness... So eventually you will repeat parts: Intro Verse Bridge Hook Verse Bridge Hook Verse Bridge Hook Outro. Each of these parts can be on a seperate channel so you would have 5 channels instead of 1 long one with the whole song on it. It's all the same in the end, just how you get there is different..

You misunderstood. Structure is structure, there's no doubting that. I mean the individual parts that make up the structure. If a verse is 16 bars, keep it interesting, add a piano a few bars in then drop it a bar or two later. Don't give me a 2 bar loop that repeats 8 times. 

Ryno

Elite Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    08 May 2011 08:27 PM
    Ya I didn't quite get what you were saying so I tried to clarify. But I gotchya now.

Ray

Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    09 May 2011 11:09 AM
    Posted By Ryno on 08 May 2011 09:27 PM
    Ya I didn't quite get what you were saying so I tried to clarify. But I gotchya now.

It's all good. 

Aw"D"iO

New Recruit
    Send Private Message -

--
    20 Jun 2011 03:55 PM
    Yea I guess just personal preferences like everything else. I usually route certain drums and percs through one channel on mixer, or route certain instruments to a send ch. to preserve cpu cuz mine is shot, but I could have about 30-50+ patterns that help me variate slightly every few bars.

Ray

Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    20 Jun 2011 06:05 PM
    Posted By Aw"D"iO on 20 Jun 2011 04:55 PM
    Yea I guess just personal preferences like everything else. I usually route certain drums and percs through one channel on mixer, or route certain instruments to a send ch. to preserve cpu cuz mine is shot, but I could have about 30-50+ patterns that help me variate slightly every few bars.

Assign each sound to a different mixer track, than split the mixer tracks. It's a lot easier since the plugins aren't robbing you of CPU usage. All your computer is doing is playing a bunch of WAV's and putting a lot of power towards your EQ's, compressors etc.

rafell

New Recruit
    Send Private Message -

--
    30 Jun 2011 03:54 AM
    hi im very green in using fl to compose(ive had it for less than a month)so far ive been able to construct 2 songs and both of them are in one many bars pattern wich is very tedious when repeating parts of a song.I would like to find out how to select parts
    in thiis pattern one and insert them in the same pattern(some bars ahead).Also it seems to me like having many vertions of sections of the song like intro,body ,lead,drum roll,ect...can help you deal better and faster with the overall construction of the
    song.If i could learn to manipulate the playlist to do this thing for me i would ask nothing more of this amazing program!!!!!
    thank you!

nolimore

New Recruit
    Send Private Message -

--
    09 Aug 2011 03:15 AM
    I use functional composition or open sketch pad style (ideas).

The functional composition might be this:

1) Pick a scale. Diatonic or synthetic!?
    2) Create chords from the scale. Stack diatonic thirds. You have from 3 to 7 note tonality. Once you have done this, you have a toolbox of chords.
    3) Then compose/arrange from the tool box. Melodies, progressions, section/parts, etc

Using the modal approach too is a way of creating melodies and progressions. Apply diatonic intervals of a scale to create melodies.

This can be done in piano roll and saving the piano roll scores (chord toolkit). The building blocks.

Another functional composition technique I use is chromatic intervals. Like building harmony and melody simutaneously. It builds from there.

The sketchpad style is just messing around, experimental, see what goes well with what. Trains your ears.

Arrangement is something else. Depends - verse, chorus, verse, mid8, blah.

Actually it is all experimental and you get a product from the work process.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

To embed links, videos, pics, etc use the code: {embed=url}
    $26.44 (Click To Buy)
    [PLAYER CODE]

Users Online
    Membership Membership:
    Latest New User Latest: angeleh
    Past 24 Hours Past 24 Hours: 36
    Prev. 24 Hours Prev. 24 Hours: 41
    User Count Overall: 104677

People Online People Online:
    Visitors Visitors: 63