Do you think sampling is cheating?
Last Post 04 Jul 2011 04:33 PM by PointBlank. 131 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 7 << < 12345 > >>
Author Messages

Pesoz

New Recruit
Send Private Message -

--
24 Apr 2011 01:38 AM
its not cheating its more like borrowing, back in beethoven days people used to remake and redo each others works to their own likings... i think as a producer you should know many techniques...

P.E1

Soldier
Send Private Message -

--
24 Apr 2011 07:01 AM
To me it's not cheating. I do understand if someone prefers "composing" over sampling for himself but it was said before, sampling is also composing.Just in another way. But it is kind of difficult for me to understand, how people produce and listen to hip hop and rap music and at the same time they say sampling is cheating. Sampling is the bread and butter of hip hop music.

Ryno

Elite Soldier
Send Private Message -

--
24 Apr 2011 01:33 PM
But it is kind of difficult for me to understand, how people produce and listen to hip hop and rap music and at the same time they say sampling is cheating. Sampling is the bread and butter of hip hop music

Yup, that's what I'm sayin. It's one thing to prefer composing over sampling, but to hate on sampling? Thats like hating on hip-hop in general...
Stay Humble, Stay Hungry & Feed Me !

Slliks (aka Skillz)

Elite Soldier
Send Private Message -

--
24 Apr 2011 01:51 PM
Posted By Ryno on 24 Apr 2011 02:33 PM
But it is kind of difficult for me to understand, how people produce and listen to hip hop and rap music and at the same time they say sampling is cheating. Sampling is the bread and butter of hip hop music

Yup, that's what I'm sayin. It's one thing to prefer composing over sampling, but to hate on sampling? Thats like hating on hip-hop in general...

And That my Friends is the Reason why the State of HIP HOP is the way it is now

Solidbeatz (BIG T)

Elite Soldier
Send Private Message -

--
25 Apr 2011 06:00 AM
^ i agree

Sheldon Mack

Soldier
Send Private Message -

--
25 Apr 2011 02:05 PM

Hmm I do both, and I really have the highest respects for samplers especially the ones that chop the hell out of one song and it sounds completely different. I actually find sampling harder than composing. As for cheating, nah its not. I dont know any "hip hop" beat that doesnt use a sample including things like dirty south. Hiphop is sampling, there is no instrument that hip hop can claim but maybe the turntables if you call that an instrument. Its not like Rock with eletric guitars, country acoustic, and even synths were made for pop. So hiphop is always sampling and combining different elements. So ya, sample on!!!

Also I feel no idea is original. And unless you have a deep knowledge on music theory what your composing is not really anything new. I have heard tons of beats with the same chord progression and things. So "composers" don't look down on "samplers" because the truth is we are all "beatmakers" and "real musicians" tend to look down on us either way. When I say real musicians I mean the ones that spent their whole lives learning their instruments and music theory. So :/

https://twitter.com/SincereShel

daq1170

New Recruit
Send Private Message -

--
25 Apr 2011 02:26 PM
Sampling is the foundation of hip hop and I do mean HIP-HOP , before the sampler was made there were DJ's taking bits and pieces of different records and blending them together to make a song out of there mixing and scratching. If it were not for these DJ's doing this there would probably be no samplers even made or sold in the high volume in which they are being sold and there again these individuals are getting paid on our creativity. I love sampling and will never stop there is not a producer alive in the business that does not sample ! Everyone uses samples weather they like it or not. If you use a drum machine you are using a sample of those particular sounds. You all love the TR 808 yet they are not manufacturing that machine to my knowledge so I guess sampling is no way cheating , you the producer must take bits of a song and make it your own song ......... It's hard putting many songs together to make one but it's fun and creativity on another level.......

Ca5ualty

Soldier
Send Private Message -

--
25 Apr 2011 03:35 PM
there is no such thing as cheating in music if its good its good if its bad its still good to some one

Ca5ualty

Soldier
Send Private Message -

--
25 Apr 2011 03:37 PM
you could say any digital format is cheating but the main thing is the technology helps expand the abilities nothing is cheating if you say one thing is cheating then every thing is cheating

Ca5ualty

Soldier
Send Private Message -

--
25 Apr 2011 03:40 PM
sampling is just as creative as composing i mean puffy dr dre and kayne gave us some of the most memorable tracks cut from simple samples the have one Grammy awards for these tracks its just as creative to get the sample to work as to compose every single little note so its not cheating in any way

when a painter pains a picture of a building or person is that cheating cuz they are not painting a person from nothing or no image reference its all good music is music

Ca5ualty

Soldier
Send Private Message -

--
25 Apr 2011 03:45 PM
and if you use pre set patches the person that saved those settings could have taken them from some one elses settings and just turn one knob nothing is original even with patches and presets they are just settings and some synthesizers can only do so much so even if you turn your on knobs your still going to get the same result music is music really doesn't matter

Ryno

Elite Soldier
Send Private Message -

--
25 Apr 2011 04:06 PM
So "composers" don't look down on "samplers" because the truth is we are all "beatmakers" and "real musicians" tend to look down on us either way.

Hahaha!

trackstar

New Recruit
Send Private Message -

--
25 Apr 2011 06:17 PM
I make completely original compositions and I will also sample. I don't sample much but I will, because it's not about how you get the track to the place it needs to be, as long as you get it there. Let's just focus on the end result, that's what the consumers do. Have you ever heard of a radio station refusing to play a sampled song, what about DJ refusing to play it? No one cares how you got it to sound good, as long as it does. Except producers, but then they're not the target audience.

trackstar

New Recruit
Send Private Message -

--
25 Apr 2011 06:32 PM
I just had to say one more thing, I was just listening to that old Timbaland and Magoo album "Indecent Proposal" and purely by coincidence a track comes on called "Drop" just one bar in and I already recognize that this is a sample from "Morris Day and The Time" called "Get it Up" TLC also covered this song. See everyone does it, even producers that aren't labeled as "samplers" So you have arguably the top 2 Hip Hop producers of all time Dr. Dre and Timbaland not necessarily in that order......(that's another thread all together) both using samples. Anyone wanna tell me that they're not creative, or original?

trackstar

New Recruit
Send Private Message -

--
25 Apr 2011 06:37 PM
Correction to my previous post, the sample comes at 4:10, I was distracted typing and thought it was the beginning, but the gist of it is the same. It's a sample.

JayLooN

New Recruit
Send Private Message -

--
25 Apr 2011 07:09 PM
I say this I honestly respect those who sample and still do work as far as adding more compositions to it, but if the sample is doin all the work then yes i feel like you cheating, Me personally Ive only been making beats a lil over 2 years(Still a rookie to the Vets) and I used to use old theme songs from cartoons to make beats but it was just to see how it would sound as a hip hop beat, plus i know i dont have the money to pay for the samples so it drove me towards wanting to create vs. take(thats jus the way i see it) not trying to start an arguement its just the more i listen to mainstream and underground music the more i realize how even the biggest and best producers and beatmakers in the game use samples to make hits so much so that it makes me wonder if they didnt have those other peoples songs and the money to pay to use them could their music have been such a success. I definitley side with those who actually create every melody and drum pattern of their compositions because i feel without them their would be nothing for the samplers to sample.

Ryno

Elite Soldier
Send Private Message -

--
25 Apr 2011 08:17 PM
it makes me wonder if they didnt have those other peoples songs and the money to pay to use them could their music have been such a success. I definitley side with those who actually create every melody and drum pattern of their compositions because i feel without them their would be nothing for the samplers to sample.

That's the beauty of sampling. You think Grand Master Flash, Run DMC and Public Enemy had the money to buy guitars, drums, keyboards, basses, synthesizers, etc... and then say "Hey, let's raise some more money so we can get some music lessons and learn all these instruments and we'll attend our community college where we can take courses on music theory and THEN we can express ourselves!..." Get real. Sampling gave them a way to express themselves without having to be rich or privileged. I never got music lessons as a kid or was taught music theory, should that mean that I shouldn't be able to express myself?

Godson Official

Soldier
Send Private Message -

--
25 Apr 2011 11:03 PM
Composers = should sample more
Pimps = should compose more
Make lovely mixes not loudness war. SOUNDCLOUD: http://www.soundcloud.com/thegodson FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/godsonofficialmusic

thefarlights

New Recruit
Send Private Message -

--
26 Apr 2011 03:20 AM
I don't think sampling is cheating. Cheating is looked as something bad. Though "cheating" brings lots of good things to the music industry.

1. I don't think any one could recreate what was made in the 80's, 90's (won't go into it too much) , so it's great to see it live and hear it again. Keeping the music alive so the younger generation can hear it.

2. It introduces new artist to people which they probably have never heard of before. For example, I have never heard of Aphex Twin until I heard their sample being used on Kanye's blame game. The same would probably be for alot of people and Kanye increased the popularity of Aphex Twin which is a great thing. Again, keeping the music alive.

3. Lastly, sampling couldn't be cheating because it takes immense amount of skills to put together something out samples and make it sounds yours/unique. It takes just as much, if not more , to compose something and make it sound unique.

I think we samplers should be more prone to sampleling more tracks and using it in one song rather than just taking an 8 bar piano sample, looping it and throwing a beat on it.

Solidbeatz (BIG T)

Elite Soldier
Send Private Message -

--
26 Apr 2011 04:33 AM
Posted By EX01 on 26 Apr 2011 12:03 AM
Composers = should sample more
Pimps = should compose more

hahahahaha i agree
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 7 << < 12345 > >>

To embed links, videos, pics, etc use the code: {embed=url}