Getting This Off My Chest [ Diversity in Upcoming Producers ]
Last Post 17 May 2011 10:51 PM by NATION. 49 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 3 << < 123 > >>
Author Messages

RagemonsteR

Elite Soldier
Send Private Message -

--
22 Apr 2011 03:48 PM
good healthy conversation going on here.

you have imitate until you develop your own sound. but yeah, just copying somebody elses style is not the business.. almost all the beats on soundclick sound the same to me.

:D

New Recruit
Send Private Message -

--
22 Apr 2011 05:02 PM
Interesting. You seem to think the preset is the problem.

Big Twin ONE

New Recruit
Send Private Message -

--
22 Apr 2011 07:56 PM
People do whatever gets them paid. Whatever is in demand. If you can get paid being yourself, then do that. Some people have a passion for music, while others are trying to increase revenue from their investment. I don't see any reason not to pursue both avenues.

TooIntegrated
Your Girlfriends Dream (moderator)
Veteran
Send Private Message -

--
26 Apr 2011 05:04 AM
First of all the people who are smackin' presets and the use of the presets.. Y'all don't know sh*t.. A preset is not imitating.. You are not extra gangstah if you program your own synth sound, its deff EASIER to know how program your own synth sound, but not everyone wants or knows how to.. That's why presets were born.

Saying you're imitating because of the fact you use presets is stupid... That's like putting preset sounds in certain 'boxes' or 'genres'.. Plain stupid.. Everybody agrees on the line: It's not about what u use, but how u use it.. If it's hot it's hot, so why should it be forbidden to use preset sounds? If you want a Stavi Violin sample/vst would u rather program that urself or use the preset? If you can program that with your synth and make it sound just as good as the real deal, I will personally suck your balls..

Imitating someones style is by default faggish, but taking certain elements and mixing them with your own isn't.. Don't stress about what other are doing and rant, focus only on yourself and what you are doing.. If everybody is imitating then it's better news for u, that means you have a better shot at making it in the industry with your 'orginality'...

'nuff said..
Twitter: Click Here | FaceBook: Click Here | E-mail: TooIntegrated@gmail.com | Artist Webpage: Click here

Member of the Warbeats Music Group
-----
I am coming back. Too Integrated - The Sleeping Giant

IRL303

Soldier
Send Private Message -

--
26 Apr 2011 05:39 AM
Ouch, looks like someone touched a nerve there.

TooIntegrated
Veteran
Send Private Message -

--
26 Apr 2011 05:44 AM

Seeing you don't disagree with what I say, I'm right aren't I...?

Twitter: Click Here | FaceBook: Click Here | E-mail: TooIntegrated@gmail.com | Artist Webpage: Click here

-----

IRL303

Soldier
Send Private Message -

--
26 Apr 2011 06:09 AM
Stand by your own convictions man, You don't need my justification

TooIntegrated
Veteran
Send Private Message -

--
26 Apr 2011 06:28 AM
lol that's a nice parry.. I'll just interpret it as a yes..

-----

IRL303

Soldier
Send Private Message -

--
26 Apr 2011 07:55 AM
There is nothing to interpret, however, if it strokes your ego to interpret it as a yes then by all means go right ahead. 

KEYBOYY

New Recruit
Send Private Message -

--
26 Apr 2011 08:57 AM
wo said presets were the problem anyway?
http://www.Twiturm.com/DA_KEYBOYY http://www.SoundClick.com/KEYBOYY

Megiddo

Elite Soldier
Send Private Message -

--
26 Apr 2011 10:53 AM
I don't know, I understood it as a whole, I mean people using "The Lil Jon "preset"", that meaning they copy his style, not using a VST preset, feel me?

But yeah, I wanna see the producer who NEVER uses presets.

IRL303

Soldier
Send Private Message -

--
26 Apr 2011 11:04 AM
Can you suggest some tracks where we can hear a clearly identifiable preset used by a producer that is currently making music? and can you also tell us what machine or vst made the preset?

TooIntegrated
Veteran
Send Private Message -

--
26 Apr 2011 02:45 PM
lol suddenly nobody knows shit... I don't really care, but first you start knockin' shit and I come in and give my two cents in this lil'parade and suddenly nobody don't know shit anymore lol...

I don't even wanna start quoting.. You guys should know what's up.. If you wanna bring up a point, carefully choose words, and really define and narrow down what you trynna say.. Proper communication is key in places like this.. otherwise niggas gon' look atchu like O.o (What did he just say? I know that ain't right)..

-----

JB Production

Veteran
Send Private Message -

--
27 Apr 2011 07:26 AM
IRL303.......NAS-Hero.....preset ...butterfly stance from NI Massive VST...just the first one that crossed my mind....hmmm then,legato strings...in almost every other Scott Storch beat....most of producers use presets...they are like instruments -_- so i dont see whats wrong with that...

KEYBOYY

New Recruit
Send Private Message -

--
28 Apr 2011 09:23 AM
ah i see...you're coming at me for explaning how "I" do MY sounds.

I aint say shit was wrong with using presets, i said the upcomong "producers" are presets and peset hunters.

i use factory presets myself and of course i tweak them to my own liking and save my own...idk how anything anybody said in this topic fucked your nerves but i was stating my opinion on MY topic on a FORUM.
http://www.Twiturm.com/DA_KEYBOYY http://www.SoundClick.com/KEYBOYY

Megiddo

Elite Soldier
Send Private Message -

--
28 Apr 2011 12:22 PM
Posted By IRL303 on 26 Apr 2011 12:04 PM
Can you suggest some tracks where we can hear a clearly identifiable preset used by a producer that is currently making music? and can you also tell us what machine or vst made the preset?

I don't know, I'm not following producers like some people do.

I guess the 80s were full of presets.

Todays music surely uses them. They might not be 100% the factory preset, but they maybe start from a preset.

Sabotage
The Pimp Hand (moderator)
Elite Veteran
Send Private Message -

--
28 Apr 2011 01:57 PM
I will start of by saying: You don't have to agree with me, take from this what you want. I'm just calling it as I see it.

THERE ARE NO ROOTS ANYMORE!

People are getting into the game for the wrong reasons with little to no knowledge about what they are getting into. This thing is going to continue for a while untill it self implodes. There is no room for 100.000 producers in the game, specially if they all make the same type of music.

We have to realise that what they call hiphop today (the crap that is playing in the radio.. well not crap, it's more like generic pop). Is a product of the music industry. From the way it sounds to the way it looks. People who grow up now, think THIS IS hip hop.

We live in a super fast media specked world, where everything reaches a global audience in a matter of minutes. This is all they know. Young people coming up today are groomed into getting their information this way. Internet is where it is at, everything moves fast and you need to move with it or be left behind. Atleast that is what we are led to believe. The less time you take to think about things, the less likely you are to question them. ( I will draw a parallel with those ads with a timer counting down.. This limited time offer, only 45 seconds left.. tik tok tik tok. Ofcourse the same ad will start over if you refresh the page, but... )

So is it odd that the up and coming producers of today will not take time to learn their roots? And as I stated most of them are hopping on the train, not because they are a part of bigger thing. But because they think it is cool, and they see people making fast money out of it.

In todays world skill is nothing, being on the TV getting your face known is everything. I don't think I need to justify this statement more then point to the morons we see on one of the hundreds of reality shows on TV every day?

So what do we have?

A young person that is used to being fed a media image of how things are. A person that is in a hurry. A person that is growing up in a world where clebrity is king and anyone can be one, even for the most idiotic reasons.

Alright, but this dude is a G. Hell no, he is going on TV making an arse of himself. He likes flashy things and bling on music vids. Damn those dudes must be making money, I want to get into that game. So what is he to do? look at what is getting played the most? What type of music / beats are those? How do I make me one of those to sell to a rapper...

---------------------

We have to make a distinction between hip hop culture and what is being marketed as hip hop in the media. If you start to look at objectivly, you will see the two have very little in common anymore. That's why many of us who grew up while the history was made, feel so strongly about it. By all means make any type of music, but call it what it is. Call it hip pop or what ever you want. Just don't peddle your wares under a false name

It's kinda of what is happening to dubstep right now. Just the last night I saw a comment on the new britney spears remix featuring nicki minaj and Kesha. " I liked the dubstep in the beginning and at the end. I gave it five stars for the dubstep!"
If you know dubstep and listen to the track, you will laugh at that comment. Sure there was a wobble bass line, but is that dubstep? Today the general public seems to think so. Same thing with hip hop.

Ok back to the topic:
So our producer want's to make money with beats. Record companies are pushing a certain type of product for their reasons (club friendly tracks, dumbed down lyrics.. if you are waste you just want to party. and yes that's ok, but everything has to sound like that? Also this is not a sampling vs. composing comment, but a certain element of the golden era music got lost. When the record companies got really greedy with the sample royalties... So now record companies don't want to clear samples, because, well.. eh record companies take too much for doing it.)

Ofcourse our up and coming super DJ, is going to comply. Hey, hip hop tpo him is club tracks and bling bling... What's wrong with that?

If you know your roots and history. If you have ever been in a spontanious freestyle battle after a jam. If you have ever creeped into the train yards 3 o' clock in the morning with your backpack full of cans. If you have seen a 14 year old kid make a 150 strong crowd of 30 year old mean cheer wildly for his athletic skills. Then you might understand that the culture we declare to be a apart of was and is based on innovation. Being your own man and finding your own style. Not about copying others or trying to imitate their style.Heck back in the day you would get shun out of the community for doing that shit.That is if you got away easily.

It's not dubstep because there is a wobble bass. It's not hip hop because you used 808's and the same synth as waka flocka.

Alot of rambling, take of it what you wish.
| MAIL | Watch this space!

IRL303

Soldier
Send Private Message -

--
28 Apr 2011 03:02 PM
I agree with all of that. A lot of people just get into this for money and fame nothing else. Of course there will be some who do it for the love of music but I'd guess most of them are driven by all the stuff that is associated with being a famous person. They don't care much about the technical aspects or anything else so long as the make there money. I think Its just a pure out and out free for all in this music business now. Money and greed has long since taken over it and as a result the quality in almost every field of music has suffered expect for the marketing end of it. Gotta keep that in top order...after all its how they advertise there products.

The speed at which this is also moving at is also astonishing as you mentioned. "They" are always looking for the next big superstar and there is always going to be people trying to be that next big superstar by copying the people before them. So that's where it goes back to sampling and imitating styles. It seems for the most part people only want to hear the same thing only sung/made/produced by a different face. I think this why so many people sample and imitate others.

The thing that annoys me is, people just want instant fame and recognition without doing the hard work. Reluctantly they will do it because fame is the prize and so follows the money and all the other material shit they want. I'd work my ass off to make an album that I was proud of, money and fame would not be goals of mine for doing an album. Satisfaction of a job well done would be enough for me. That and the love and respect of music I have. I'm not complete fool, If my album did make money then great and if with it came some notoriety then fantastic.

But yeah you hit the nail on the head there with that post man.

JB Production

Veteran
Send Private Message -

--
28 Apr 2011 04:06 PM
i doubt anyone would do music just for the money...its ....well..........stupid,you need to learn how to do it,and after that you have slim chances of making that money :S...there are better jobs then music if you dont like it

Pompey Productions

Veteran
Send Private Message -

--
28 Apr 2011 06:20 PM
use presets...

just don't become one...

i feel where T.I. is coming from. nothing wrong with using the "sounds" the producer uses...just with continuously imitating the "sound" the producer uses.

the reason they are where they are is b/c they originated THEIR sound. it may have an influence from somewhere else (10 times out of 10 it does) but when you hear their sound, you know the producer off top. so if you continue to imitate a producer and you put that work out as your own, then you will be known as making beats that sound like *fill in the blank*.

personally, i don't see any progress in that. some people do it though, and they may make some good money off of it. personally i have larger goals than that. honestly, i want to be one of those producers that has other producers on soundclick imitating ME.

"...because of success..." is what t.i. said...i think that depends on what your definition of success is.

there used to be a time when producers were only known to those in the music industry and to those who chose to read the back of the credits on a tape/record/cd. now all of a sudden, since producers have become "famous", a lot of us want to be "famous" as well...
BUT
fame does not always relate to financial wealth...thats what a lot of people don't realize.

a combination of working hard and working efficiently/smart always equates to success on multiple levels.

but that's just my input and take on it. like i said, everyone has their own agenda and gameplan on getting there. whatever works...but if the plan is for some form of longevity, then the MAIN thing a person should be imitating is the work ethic. that simple.
www.PompeyProductions.com www.twitter.com/P_O_M_P_E_Y www.facebook.com/pompeyproductions
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 3 << < 123 > >>

To embed links, videos, pics, etc use the code: {embed=url}
$31.12 (Click To Buy)
[PLAYER CODE]

Users Online
Membership Membership:
Latest New User Latest: diggyase
Past 24 Hours Past 24 Hours: 35
Prev. 24 Hours Prev. 24 Hours: 32
User Count Overall: 107433

People Online People Online: