Sampling Process
Last Post 05 Apr 2011 03:02 AM by Kerouac. 8 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages

sk20620

New Recruit
Send Private Message -

--
    25 Mar 2011 08:34 AM
    Lately ive been feeling like my beats dont sound official like other producers. i wanted to tell you about my sampling process and see if i can get some help. first i find the track that i want to sample. from there i chop it in 1 to 2 bar loops. i put them in different fl slicers and arrange my sample. then i go in and program drums around the sample... do u think that my beats arent sounding good because im not playing them out with a midi controller? every time i go to play them out with my mpd8 i get a lot of clicks and pops in my sample. thank you for any help you can give me. 

sk20620

New Recruit
    Send Private Message -

--
    25 Mar 2011 08:35 AM
    also here is my sound cloud if you could please take a minute to listen maybe u can here what im talking about

http://soundcloud.com/sean-kelly-aka-king-kelz

Slliks (aka Skillz)

Elite Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    25 Mar 2011 11:40 AM
    i have a similar style what i try to do is find more unique sample or really flip well known samps, i listened to you sound cloud and the spinners track was dope, and walking had that late 80's early 90's feel. How long have you been sampling? Like anything tho it takes time and practice don't rush it just start listening to a lot of sample music to get a feel for the pros. check my you tube channel with a few of the tracks i did.

http://www.youtube.com/user/slliks67?feature=mhum

Sabotage
    The Pimp Hand (moderator)
    Elite Veteran
    Send Private Message -

--
    25 Mar 2011 12:15 PM
    The reason your beats have clicks and pops when you play it out on a controller is the way you prepare them. The FL slicer while sometimes a usefull tool, is not really a samplers dream per say. It takes no regard as to where it it chops the sample (meaning zero crossing points). Unless you can calculate to a millisecond (and not even then) the correct length for the loop, you will get some clicks.

That's because the slicer just looks at the length of your sample and will chop it into equal sized pieces regardless what's playing in the cut point. Unless you use the fiunction that sets cut points according to peaks in the wave form, but then you will have even less control over your chops.

Why you do not hear these clicks when you program your beats is that the click sound is propably being conceiled by a drum hit happening on the exact same time. (a good technique to keep in mind tho.)

It's also ften the reason for why beats sometimes sound sterile. If every drum hit and sample start exactly on time the beat will soon start sounding kinda uniform and robotic. You need some sort of movement and modulation in your beat to keep the listener interested. This can be slight variations in velocity or a hit landing just a little too early or too late.

Personally I'm oldschool and chop all my samples manually by force of habit. I will go and zoom in as close as possible and get 50 one note chops out of a sample if that is what is needed.
    | MAIL | Watch this space!

sk20620

New Recruit
    Send Private Message -

--
    25 Mar 2011 12:24 PM
    thank you guys so much for your help!

@Slliks867- thanks for the feedback it means alot... ive started sampling around dec or jan. of this year... that supreme flight beat is dopeeee i was feeling the vibe on it... do u use the mpc1000?

@Sabotage- do you play out your entire beat or play like 8 bar loops?

Sabotage
    The Pimp Hand (moderator)
    Elite Veteran
    Send Private Message -

--
    25 Mar 2011 03:38 PM
    I can rock a loop if the sample needs it, some loops are just too good as they are. Other times I'll chop a note here and a lick there. It all depends on what I'm sampling or what type of a vibe I'm after. On the MPC I'm more likely to chop then loop anything tho.
    | MAIL | Watch this space!

Slliks (aka Skillz)

Elite Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    25 Mar 2011 04:16 PM
    Yeah i use both Mpc 1000 and FL studios. It is all practice for me I used to press being a dope creator, now i just relax and let it happen, but like i said try to find unique samples to sample or make you track rather unique, being different is a good thing in sampling.

That Guy

Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    26 Mar 2011 01:34 AM
    Here's what I do using FL Studio 9 producer's edition:

1.) Brainstorm and choose a song from my music collection

2.) Load the song into Edison and highlight the piece of the song I want to use

3.) Drag the sample onto the step sequencer, select the new channel it's in

4.) Then I just fux wit it. Reverse it, speed it up, slow it down, change the pitch, put it on the mixer and add effects or EQ out any unwanted parts to the best of my ability, etc. This is the step that takes the longest and requires the most creativity and the "producer's ear" that I haven't quite developed yet.

It really depends on the style you're going for and you're only limited by your skill level. Watch tutorials, read interviews, articles, whatever you can find on the subject.

I like that "LifeTime" beat you put together, that was nice

Kerouac

Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    05 Apr 2011 03:02 AM
    Posted By Sabotage on 25 Mar 2011 01:15 PM
    The reason your beats have clicks and pops when you play it out on a controller is the way you prepare them. The FL slicer while sometimes a usefull tool, is not really a samplers dream per say. It takes no regard as to where it it chops the sample (meaning zero crossing points). Unless you can calculate to a millisecond (and not even then) the correct length for the loop, you will get some clicks.

That's because the slicer just looks at the length of your sample and will chop it into equal sized pieces regardless what's playing in the cut point. Unless you use the fiunction that sets cut points according to peaks in the wave form, but then you will have even less control over your chops.

Why you do not hear these clicks when you program your beats is that the click sound is propably being conceiled by a drum hit happening on the exact same time. (a good technique to keep in mind tho.)

It's also ften the reason for why beats sometimes sound sterile. If every drum hit and sample start exactly on time the beat will soon start sounding kinda uniform and robotic. You need some sort of movement and modulation in your beat to keep the listener interested. This can be slight variations in velocity or a hit landing just a little too early or too late.

Personally I'm oldschool and chop all my samples manually by force of habit. I will go and zoom in as close as possible and get 50 one note chops out of a sample if that is what is needed.

Thx. Great post Sabo.

Sometimes i start with slicing it in the slicer just to hear what the chops sound like. If i find chops i like i drop them in the fpc. If clicks or pops appear i edit the chop in edison manually then drag it back to the fpc.

After loading all samples i mess around with the fpc. (controlled with a padkontrol) I just lay down a basic beat and throw my samples over it. Peace sampleheads.

K.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

To embed links, videos, pics, etc use the code: {embed=url}
    $23.32 (Click To Buy)
    [PLAYER CODE]

Users Online
    Membership Membership:
    Latest New User Latest: rocproducer1
    Past 24 Hours Past 24 Hours: 27
    Prev. 24 Hours Prev. 24 Hours: 23
    User Count Overall: 104713

People Online People Online: