Addressing Your Weaknesses
Last Post 15 Aug 2012 07:22 PM by BenMilli (TRS). 38 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages

BenMilli (TRS)

Soldier
Send Private Message -

--
    08 Jul 2012 09:41 PM

I guess this thread is really just recognising soft spots in you beat game.... (could be hard for others to reply to but I'm sure that can be disproved )

I strongly believe you can't address, correct, and perfect a weakness unless you can acknowledge and admit you have a weakness  & Knowing you have it is Step One... Not just in music, but in life... This here's strictly music though. What's a weakness of yours or weaknesses and what do you really want to improve on? Here's mine...

So my major weaknesses are:

Mixes: I have a lot of issues just even mixing my tracks let alone mastering

Mastering: Never mastered a track... Noviced em but never mastered

Giving instruments a break: I think it stems from me trying not to take a break...

Music lingo:  "Dynamic wha???", "Arpeggio", "Volume???"??? Haha

And My Minor Weaknesses:

Composition: I have difficulty straying away from my hook.. 

Vocal Mixing: I've mixed 3 full vocals ever so yeah.. I'm sure there's room for        improvement

Mixing: At higher volume than most do Probably ties in with the Mixes but I am so     used to it this way and can't hear anything at lower volumes

Finishing: I don't know what it is but I get depressed in between my last beat and        my next so I have a harder time completing tracks than I should

Anyways... Yeah... I wouldn't mind hearing what others want to address so hopefully we'll see some things addressed

Oh.... And I can't whistle

Seasonz Beatz
    The Zookeeper (Moderator)
    Veteran
    Send Private Message -

--
    08 Jul 2012 10:04 PM
    Props my man great idea 4 a post Here are my weaknessess:
    #1 - Inspiration Shortened: One day I start a beat Im really diggin, but I dnt finish the work so I leave it for other day, but guess what? Next day isnt the same feeling so I end up with 50 unfinished projects lol.
    #2 - The Turtle Effect: I take a lot of time to finish my projects, I dnt know if this is really a weakness or a matter of making my beats perfect, When I start something I always want 2 make it big/ "go Hard or go Home".
    #3- Piano Addiction: I can't stop using piano on my beats lol, I luv that instrument.
    #4- The Warbeats Effect (this will be funny): Ive become just an addict 2 warbeats lol, thats why I take a lot of time to release a beat also haha

Oh.... And I can't whistle

and btw, I have problems whistling 2 lol
    “We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak.”- Albert Einstein
    Warbeats Mail *Only To Report Site-Related Problems*: seasonz@warbeats.com
    E-mail: djseasonz_beatz@hotmail.com
    Seasonz On Soundcloud
    Seasonz On Facebook

BenMilli (TRS)

Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    09 Jul 2012 09:26 AM

Yeah your #4 gets me too lol... It seams I upload something for feedback and instantly stop doing anything else until I hit like 8 or 9 feedbacks

NH23!

Veteran
    Send Private Message -

--
    09 Jul 2012 09:58 AM
    Great topic... I definitly need to learn how to add more variation to my beats with breaks, drops, nice transitions etc. I also need to start making more beats in less time, that's it i guess. And oh yeah, i need to start using more cowbell.
    My beats | Twitter | Facebook | Mail: nhbeats@live.se

NFX
    Commander In Chief
    Elite Veteran
    Send Private Message -

--
    09 Jul 2012 10:17 AM
    Finishing... I have way more beats started than finished.
    Warbeats - Dropping Knowledge Like Bombs Since 2005... Has Warbeats helped you? - Please consider going VIP to help us pay the bills.
    ---
    Over 300 FL Studio, Music Theory and Beatmaking Video Tutorials
    Warbeats Music Group

AGC

Veteran
    Send Private Message -

--
    09 Jul 2012 11:51 PM
    More cowbell, heh heh. I feel like I need to take the time to plan how my strengths will fit into a completed project and then for the most part my weaknesses are irrelevant.

There are things I don't know though and for those things I take lessons (even if informally) with someone who is good at it. I had a ton of books on drums fills and such but how to program them never really made sense until a really long convo with Jamar, same with reverb, watching Slavebells tutorial on reverb saved me hours of "working on it".

I'm not sure I believe that work in a vacuum ever really amounts to much unless your dealing with your natural strengths and in that case it's kinda not work. Finding mentors can be hard work though... luckily this place is full of them.

BenMilli (TRS)

Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    10 Jul 2012 07:26 AM
    While I agree with you on the whole "work with your strengths" thing , weaknesses are far from irrelevant IMO ... If you need proof of that then just upload a song on here for feedback The way I see it if you are only able to make right turns while driving and you never fix the fact you can't make left turns, sure you can reach your destination, but it's gonna take three "strong" turns to make the one "weak" turn.... And try making three rights on a highway lol.... I think the metaphor applies here, I think

Seasonz Beatz
    Veteran
    Send Private Message -

--
    10 Jul 2012 07:32 AM
    The way I see it if you are only able to make right turns while driving and you never fix the fact you can't make left turns, sure you can reach your destination, but it's gonna take three "strong" turns to make the one "weak" turn.... And try making three rights on a highway lol.... I think the metaphor applies here, I think

What?

lol jk, I agree with u homie, Music making is a trial and error process...
    “We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak.”- Albert Einstein
    Seasonz On Soundcloud
    Seasonz On Facebook

NFX
    Commander In Chief
    Elite Veteran
    Send Private Message -

--
    10 Jul 2012 09:33 AM
    Posted By AGC on 10 Jul 2012 12:51 AM
    watching Slavebells tutorial on reverb saved me hours of "working on it".

Did I miss this tut? Where can I see it?

Warbeats - Dropping Knowledge Like Bombs Since 2005... Has Warbeats helped you? - Please consider going VIP to help us pay the bills.
    ---
    Over 300 FL Studio, Music Theory and Beatmaking Video Tutorials
    Warbeats Music Group

AGC

Veteran
    Send Private Message -

--
    10 Jul 2012 08:01 PM
    Posted By NFX on 10 Jul 2012 10:33 AM

I'm not saying you shouldn't try to get better but that trail and error can sometimes reinforce errors in the way you do something so maybe a better way to say it is:

"I address my weaknesses by finding someone who is strong at my weakness and stealing ruthlessly from them."

Seasonz Beatz
    Veteran
    Send Private Message -

--
    11 Jul 2012 05:33 AM
    Another issue I have that I just noticed is giving instruments a break, When I think I have a tight melody I never drop it,and at the time it becomes repetitive, even if I add new elements to the song.
    Seasonz On Soundcloud
    Seasonz On Facebook

BenMilli (TRS)

Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    11 Jul 2012 10:49 AM

That's an awesome vid AGC.....

Another weakness of mine is using too much of an effect much like too much reverb, as that video taught me. I have to be more subtle with effects

BenMilli (TRS)

Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    11 Jul 2012 12:30 PM
    One more weakness of mine is getting what I hear in my head into the song.... Probably a combination of lack of sounds, work ethic, and a.d.d. lol

Seasonz Beatz
    Veteran
    Send Private Message -

--
    11 Jul 2012 01:39 PM
    Oh and I 4got this: Listening to much to my beats I listen 2 much to the stuff I do and at the time I get bored and inspiration just fades away lol
    Seasonz On Soundcloud
    Seasonz On Facebook

BenMilli (TRS)

Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    11 Jul 2012 02:02 PM
    Posted By DJ Seasonz (Davy S.) on 11 Jul 2012 02:39 PM
    Oh and I 4got this: Listening to much to my beats I listen 2 much to the stuff I do and at the time I get bored and inspiration just fades away lol

Uhh... Yeah!!! I listen to it to the point that I'm just sick of it sometimes.... And then I listen to it some more 0.o hahaha

AGC

Veteran
    Send Private Message -

--
    11 Jul 2012 07:03 PM
    Posted By DJ Seasonz (Davy S.) on 11 Jul 2012 02:39 PM

Kind of related to that is I'm always afraid I'm making the guitar or bass to loud cause that's my things so I end up making them too quiet all the time.  I fix that by getting someone else (Slavebell, Mart85, Def Starz or Focist) to mix it for me. 

Another way I address my weaknesses, I just get someone else to do it... lol.

Seasonz Beatz
    Veteran
    Send Private Message -

--
    11 Jul 2012 08:19 PM
    I just get someone else to do it

word!
    Seasonz On Soundcloud
    Seasonz On Facebook

Slavebell

Elite Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    11 Jul 2012 08:43 PM
    Posted By NFX on 10 Jul 2012 10:33 AM

I guess you did. I posted it as soon as we made it. Reverb and Delay tut in tutorials forum

I'll make compression tut next and mail you about it cos people will really want to see that

B-ez

Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    14 Jul 2012 03:10 AM
    I think my biggest weakness is not being able to get what's in my head out fast enough.

Mixing: I can't help it I prefer to mix as I go not at the end.

Arrangement: I think all my beats are way too repetitive.

Stamina: Sometimes I spend hours on a song I wish I could go longer. I also have way too many unfinished tracks.

Seasonz Beatz
    Veteran
    Send Private Message -

--
    14 Jul 2012 08:50 AM
    I think my biggest weakness is not being able to get what's in my head out fast enough.

that happens to me a lot, thats why I have a lot of unfinished projects
    Seasonz On Soundcloud
    Seasonz On Facebook
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

To embed links, videos, pics, etc use the code: {embed=url}
    $24.88 (Click To Buy)
    [PLAYER CODE]

Users Online
    Membership Membership:
    Latest New User Latest: maurice