Need Help Mixing KICKS And 808s
Last Post 25 May 2012 11:29 AM by DreyVandal. 8 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages

LucKy LUCIANO

New Recruit
Send Private Message -

--
    09 Apr 2012 05:11 PM

I know how to mix kicks and 808s, but im not getting the sound i want... i love trap sounds, trapaholics,lexluger southside especially!

For the kicks: I want the kicks to KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK!! so when someone turns it up in they home or car, it KNOCKS! i dont want it to sound compressed in anyway, like southside aka sizzles kicks, his knocks! i need help achieving this

For the 808s: I want them to bang, so when someone turns this up it rattles like no other and the neighbors get mad haha, i want the 808s to sound like lex a bit, but not compressed sound. i need help with this as well.

I tried searching the forum for these, and not sure so i posted. help with mixing kicks and 808s please! thanks im using FL BTW.

Pompey Productions

Veteran
    Send Private Message -

--
    09 Apr 2012 07:12 PM
    step 1. quality samples....most of the time you have to pay for them

step 2. turn everything else DOWN some instead of turning the drums UP when you mix..that automatically makes the drums stand out.

step 3. compression and eq are very important as well. there are no set numbers to go by, but once you get the kick sounding good when you use these 2, they will sound great in a mix

www.PompeyProductions.com www.twitter.com/P_O_M_P_E_Y www.facebook.com/pompeyproductions

Global Entertainment

New Recruit
    Send Private Message -

--
    13 Apr 2012 06:16 PM
    You have to compress the EQ or else it will distort the other sounds.. Usually when I'm mixing a 808 I use an EQ to turn down the low frequencies then I add a Bass Boost to reboost them and compress it to a certain decibel. I get a 'full' and 'thick' sound. Give it a try.

Teina

New Recruit
    Send Private Message -

--
    14 Apr 2012 03:10 AM
    I never compress my kicks. I just EQ them and maybe put a flanger on them depending on what sound i want.

With 808'sz you could maybe pump up the bass with the parametric EQ 2 on the low end. Sometimes i roll off the 1st switch completely and just use the 2nd and 4th.
    I don't compress them either.
    Add some distortion from the FL Blood Overdrive in the mixer maybe.

QuickSkimper

Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    14 Apr 2012 01:25 PM
    I usually sidechain my kicks to most bass lines and do it with 808's as well so they duck when the kick hits. It allows you to get more sub bass energy and still have a defined kick. Try messing around with it and see if it helps you achieve your goal.

A. Walker

New Recruit
    Send Private Message -

--
    07 May 2012 01:15 PM
    Kick: I EQ it and use a soft Clipper. I use a sidechain compressor too.
    808:EQ twice, no compressor, soft clipper, and occasionally i use Soundgoolizer.

Megiddo

Elite Soldier
    Send Private Message -

--
    10 May 2012 06:39 AM
    You don't want it compressed buy you want them to knock... interesting. It's interesting because the knock you're talking about is probably a high attack peak, which (if the sample doesn't have), you can't obtain any other way. (Cubase has an "Envelope controller" which is actually just a fancier compressor with different types of knobs).

TheDon

New Recruit
    Send Private Message -

--
    10 May 2012 09:33 AM
    Well for the kicks, i EQ first to remove all the frequencies that am not using, then add a compressor to it, once those 2 are down ill probably add a few other effects to fatten the sound like....a small delay nothing too big or a small reverb, then sidechain the kicks.... Oh yh in my EQ i like to get that good ole sweet spot to the a really good tight sound.

But you should get the kicks and the other low ends to sound good in the mix!!.

DreyVandal

New Recruit
    Send Private Message -

--
    25 May 2012 11:29 AM

I agree with PompeyProductions. Turn everything else down a lil bit, then turn the kicks up slightly. You can also put a Parametric EQ 2 on it and turn down the treble a lil and turn up the bass/mid-bass. But you're probably just gonna have to feel it out, what ever sounds right to you.

www.youtube.com/devandalz
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

To embed links, videos, pics, etc use the code: {embed=url}
    $23.32 (Click To Buy)
    [PLAYER CODE]

Users Online
    Membership Membership:
    Latest New User Latest: igor1408
    Past 24 Hours Past 24 Hours: 39
    Prev. 24 Hours Prev. 24 Hours: 24
    User Count Overall: 107860

People Online People Online: